New York City is the most populous urban area in the United States, located at the southeast corner of New York State in the northeast region of the country. New York has long been a cultural arts center for the United States as well as the major hub for U.S. business and economy. The majority of the Watchmen story takes place in the New York City area.
New York consists of five sections called "boroughs": Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. Much of the action of Watchmen is centered in Manhattan, while a few scenes take place in Brooklyn. Other locations:
- Treasure Island
- Comic book shop.
- Where Veidt gives his charity performance.
- Madison Square Garden
- Where Pale Horse and Krystalnacht give a concert.
- 42nd Street
- A sleazy red light district full of brothels, prostitutes selling French and Swedish love and strip shows. One of them features "Enola Gay and the Little Boys". Rorschach passed along that street on his way from Moloch's house to the cemetery.
- 40th Street and 7th Avenue
- An intersection with the buildings of Gunga Diner, Utopia, Institute for Extraspatial Studies (with Bernard's newsstand) and Promethean. Many characters pass from this spot.